Started off the morning with a 6:30 wake up call and I was to Everything Pop by 7am for breakfast and on a bus toward the Magic Kingdom by 7:30ish. Arrived around 8am again and strolled out to the Contemporary. Had some time to kill so wandered out to the boat docks for some pictures then back to the D23 line. Attending the morning sessions then for the lunch break walked over to the Magic Kingdom and grabbed a hot dog in Tomorrowland and made a pass through Fantasyland since I had a few extra minutes. Then decided to take the monorail back to the Contemporary for the afternoon sessions. Took some pictures of the autograph session then headed to the Magic Kingdom for dinner at Cosmic Rays. After dinner headed over to Frontierland to visit the Country Bears. Just missed a show so circled through Adventureland and then back to watch the next show. Afterwards made my way over to Adventureland and then out to Main Street. Decided to go back early for the evening session so hopped on the Monorail and back to the Contemporary. After the evening session hiked back to the Magic Kingdom bus stops and hopped on a bus to Pop Century to call it a night.
- I spent almost the entire Day at the D23 event. Below is an excerpt of my thoughts and observations, for more complete information be sure to visit my D23 section at http://www.disneygeek.com/d23
- During the lunch and dinner breaks I walked over to the Magic Kingdom and squeezed in a couple hours of park time. The park did not seem too crowded to me and wait times looked about average, but then again I was not really trying to ride anything. I did pay the Country Bears a visit though.
D23 Destination D: Day 2 Thoughts & Observations:
- Walt Disney World Ambassadors
- Jennifer Mason and Norman Vossschulte welcomed us to day two and talked a little about their roles as ambassadors for Walt Disney World
- Ultimate Trivia Challenge
- The big surprise was the Ultimate Trivia Challenge. Steven Clark MC'd the contest. It was also announced that the winner of the challenge in Anaheim at the Expo will be awarded a cruise on the Disney Fantasy next year.
- This time around the process went much more smoothly and was run more efficiently than the Anaheim version. Again one contest blew the others away though and in the end it was no real contest. For winning he received some prizes and then an automatic advancement in August to a later round.
- Walt Disney World Resort in Detail
- Imagineers Jason Surrell, Alex Wright and Jason Grandt put one of the most entertaining presentations of the event. Their lively presentation talked a little about Imagineering and details and then took us through quite a few examples of the layers of detail Imagineers build into the parks, whether it is a trash can, attraction, or shop every detail and word is chosen carefully. They also talk about some of the hidden tributes or nuggets you may find in some of their work.
- Imagineering Walt Disney World: From Yesteryear to Tomorrow
- Walt Disney Imagineers Chris Beatty, Kathy Rogers, and Gary Hoffman take a look some current/upcoming Walt Disney World projects and in the process make some news.
- Chris Beatty opened the presentation with an overview of Imagineering and what happens at WDI.
- Kathy Rogers spoke about the Star Tours: The Adventures Continue attraction and walked us through the queue area. She explained how there are 54 variations to the new attraction and it would take six hours to ride them all.
- Gary Hoffman spoke about the Art of Animation Resort and walked us through the various courtyard and room designs. The resort will feature four main sections, the Little Mermaid, Lion King, Cars, and Finding Nemo. Each section will have its own courtyard and building designs. The artwork on the buildings will be original artwork just for the resort.
- Chris Beatty wrapped up the presentation with a detailed look at the Fantasyland Expansion at the Magic Kingdom. Some details: the Belle experience will be a 40 minute interaction, the Dwarfs mine coaster will feature two lift hills and the Be Our Guest restaurant will have three dining rooms.
- To close out their presentation they announced that the original Tropical Serenade show will be returning to the Tiki Room. The Under New Management show is now officially history.
- Creating a Whole New "Disney World"
- This panel was hosted by retired Imagineer Marty Sklar and featured 1971 Walt Disney World Ambassador Debby Dane Browne, Disney Legend Orlando Ferrante, Disney Legal Counsel Bob Foster, Disney Legend Bob Gurr, and Disney Legend Ron Logan
- Making the Magic Happen
- This panel was moderated by Tim O'Day and featured Disney Legends Jack Lindquist, Bob Matheison, Tom Nabbe, Charlie Ridgway and Bill Sullivan
- Magic Journeys Pre-show
- Denny Zavett opened the concert with a few numbers, some well known like Kenny Rogers the Gambler, others not so like his Disney version of the Battle of New Orleans. He performed for 34 years onboard the Empress Lilly.
- Magic Journeys: A Flight of Fancy through 40 Years of Walt Disney World Musical Memories
- the Kids of the Kingdom
- The Main Street Philharmonic
- Richard Sherman (with Tim O'Day)
- Dreamfinder with Figment
- Encore! (a Walt Disney World Cast Member Choir and Band)
Pedometer Information for the day:
Walking Time 124